Festive fundraising has returned this Christmas with Santa set to visit a number of Rotherham estates in the run up to the big day.
With years of organising Santa’s sleigh under their belts, both Rotherham Round Table and the Maltby (Rother Valley) Lions had wondered if this year’s visits could take place due to coronavirus restrictions.
But the family tradition is underway, if a little different.
A statement from the Lions explained: “Things are, unfortunately, a little different this year and both we and the public have conditions to abide by for this to go ahead.
“Please keep at least 2 metres away from all our team, including all volunteers, Santa and his sleigh. We recommend to keep the 2 metre rule – do not step off the pavement onto the road whilst Santa is passing and keep to social distancing rules. Santa will not be doing his usual impromptu stops for photos.”
James Fox of Rotherham Round Table, said: “For over 30 years, Rotherham Round Table has made a special delivery of Christmas spirit by taking Santa out onto the streets of Rotherham to see delighted boys and girls – and excited grown-ups, too!
“The sight of the sleigh coming down the road has been enjoyed by generations of kids growing up in the town and established itself as a much-loved Christmas tradition.
“All proceeds from our Santa Sleigh runs go towards supporting charities and good causes in Rotherham, both large and small.”
Instead of bucket collections, organisers have set up ways to donate online.
Maltby Lions Santa schedule:
- Wednesday 9th – Thurcroft [6PM Start from Gordon Bennett Memorial Hall)
- Thursday 10th – Highfield park [6PM Start from Sheppey Pub]
- Friday 11th – Manor area (Braithwell road and below) [6PM Start from Manor Hotel]
- Saturday 12th – Laughton/ Brookhouse/ Hooten Levitt [5PM Start from Hatfield Arms]
- Saturday 12th – TESCO’S MALTBY static 09.30AM – 01.00PM
- Sunday 13th – Model Village/ Birks Holt [5PM Start from Queens Hotel]
- Monday 14th – White City and Hellaby [6PM Start from Lumley Arms]
- Friday 18th – Sheppey and Little London [6PM Start from Sheppey Pub]
- Saturday 19th – Ravenfield [5PM Start from Ravenfield Arms]
- Sunday 20th – Cliff Hills [5PM Start from Cliff Hills]
- Monday 21st – Braithwell [6pm Start from Butchers Arms]
- Tuesday 22nd – Dale Hill (Lilly Hall Road/ Columbus Way Estate) [6pm Start from Dale Hill Road]
- Wednesday 23rd – Dale Hill (Upperfield Road and Lower part of estate) [5.30PM Start from Upperfield Road]
- Thursday 24th – Dale Hill (Scott Walk and the side of the New Estate) [5PM Start from Scott Walk]
- Thursday 10th – Kiveton and Wales [6PM Start from The Saxon]
- Saturday 12th – The Chase and Aughton [5PM Start from Aston Church Lane]
- Sunday 13th – Rosegarth and Lodge Lane [5PM Start from Shops on Worksop Road]
- Tuesday 15th – Swallow Wood Est/Pidgeon Bridge Est/Alpina Way Estate [6pm Start from Swallow Wood Road]
- Thursday 17th – Throapham/Laughton Common – [6PM Start from Throapham
- Saturday 19th – Woodsetts [6PM Start from Butchers Arms]
- Saturday 19th – TESCO’S Dinnington Static 09.30AM – 03.00PM
- Sunday 20th – Rackford Road / Highnook [5PM Start from Rackford Road]
- Monday 21st – South Anston [6PM Start from Leeds Arms]
- Tuesday 22nd – Church Lane Dinnington [6PM Start from Aldi]
- Wednesday 23rd – Lakeland Drive [6PM Start from Lakeland Drive
- Thursday 24th – North Anston Wimpey Estate [5PM Start from Falcon Way]
Rotherham Round Table schedule
- Tuesday 15th – Waverley
- Wednesday 16th – Woodlaithes
- Thursday 17th – Brinsworth
- Friday 18th – Canklow and Brinsworth
- Monday 21st – Stag and Brecks
- Tuesday 22nd – Wickersley and Bramley
- Wednesday 23rd – Whiston and Grange
- Christmas Eve – Moorgate
Images: Maltby Lions